Vâlcea

Greceanu Kula

Cula_Greceanu-Maldaresti_VL-01.JPG Cula_Greceanu-Maldaresti_VL-02.JPG Cula_Greceanu-Maldaresti_VL-03.JPG Cula_Greceanu-Maldaresti_VL-04.JPG Cula_Greceanu-Maldaresti_VL-05.JPG Cula_Greceanu-Maldaresti_VL-06.JPG Cula_Greceanu-Maldaresti_VL-07.JPG Cula_Greceanu-Maldaresti_VL-08.JPG Cula_Greceanu-Maldaresti_VL-09.JPG Cula_Greceanu-Maldaresti_VL-10.JPG Cula_Greceanu-Maldaresti_VL-11.JPG Cula_Greceanu-Maldaresti_VL-12_[1909].JPG Cula_Greceanu-Maldaresti_VL-13_[1959].JPG
  • LMI (Historical Monument List) Code: VL–II-m-A-09812.01
  • Location:

    In the Museum Complex of Măldăreşti, Măldăreşti village, Măldăreşti district, Vâlcea county.

  • Access:

    From National Road 67 Râmnicu Vâlcea – Horezu, at the centre of Horezu, there is a signpost to Craiova, on the National Road 65. At the centre of Măldăreşti district, there is a signpost to the kulas.

  • References:

    Telephone: 0250 861 510

    Visiting hours: 10.00 – 18.00 every day, closed on Mondays

    www.muzee-valcea.ro

  • Original/current function: kula / museum
  • Date: the 18th century
  • History:

    According to information passed by word of mouth, the kula was already built at the beginning of the 17th century and it belonged to Captain Tudor Maldăr. Tudor Maldăr's son, the great wine-bearer Atanasie, modified the kula in 1688. The kula that we see now was redeveloped in the 18th century, as it was rebuilt over 1780-1790 by boyar Gheorghe Măldărescu and his wife, Eva, who also commissioned the “Saint Nicholas and Saint Voivods” church in 1790, in the close vicinity of the kula. In the 19th century, the kula was given, as dowry, to Greceanu family. It was restored in 1934 by its last owners: Nicolae şi Olga Greceanu. Then it was nationalised, repaired once again in 1966-1967 and turned into a museum.

  • Description:

    The kula has three floors. There is a separate access to the cellar, from the outside. The cellar is divided into three rooms. One of these rooms, placed under the turret, is built of stones and has embrasures, unlike the other two rooms, which are built of brick and ventilated through stone-lintelled windows. These elements are previous to the interventions at the end of the 18th century. The living quarters of the kula's are accessed through a heavily reinforced door. The inner staircase leads to a loggia situated on the kula's second floor. This leads to a room situated in the tower, above the old cellar, which has doors and windows reinforced with wooden bars, and a hiding place in the ceiling, closed with a trapdoor and accessible via a mobile ladder. The hiding place is only ventilated through the embrasures. Other living quarters are situated on this level as well. This is the place where, in 1936, Olga Greceanu, painted the “sponsors” on the wall, drawing her inspiration from the portraits painted at the entrance of the Măldăreşti church, which is located in the close vicinity of the kula. Both the mural room and the hidden one are covered with perforated vaults. The second floor also hosts the living quarters and a turret.

  • Biserica_Sf.Nicolae_si_Sf.Voievozi-Maldaresti_VL-14.JPG Biserica_Sf.Nicolae_si_Sf.Voievozi-Maldaresti_VL-15.JPG Biserica_Sf.Nicolae_si_Sf.Voievozi-Maldaresti_VL-16.JPG
  • Conservation status: good
  • Bibliography:

    Atanasescu Iancu, Grama Valeriu, Kulas from Oltenia, Scrisul Românesc Publishing House, Craiova, 1974

    Creţeanu Radu, Creţeanu Sarmiza, Kulas from Romania, Meridiane Publishing House, Bucharest, 1969

    Ghika Budeşti Nicolae, Architecture's Evolution in Wallachia and in Oltenia. Part Four. The New Style from the 18th Century, BCMI Anul XXIX Fascicola 87-90, 1936

    Ionescu Grigore, The History of Romanian Architecture, Cartea Românească Publishing House, Bucharest, 1937

    Ionescu Grigore, Architecture on Romania's Territory Throughout the Centuries, The Romanian Academy's Publishing House, Bucharest, 1982

    Janecke, Wilhelm von, Das Rumanische Bauern – und Bojarenhaus, Konig Carol – Verlag Publishing House, Bucharest, 1918

    Trajanescu Ion D., The Church and the Kulas from Măldăreşti (Vâlcea), BCMI Fifth Year, Gutenberg Printing House, Bucharest, 1912

    Tzigara-Samurcaş Alexandru, Writings on Romanian Art, Meridiane Publishing House, Bucharest, 1987

    The archive of the National Institute of Heritage

Institutul Național al Patrimoniului         Administrația Fondului Cultural Național