Gorj

Crăsnaru Kula

IMG_9758 IMG_9759 IMG_9762 IMG_9766 IMG_9767 001 002 003 004 005 006 007
  • LMI (Historical Monument List) Code: GJ-II-m-A-09309
  • Location:

    On the Easternmost end of the village, Groşerea Village, the Commune of Aninoasa, Gorj County

  • Access:

    From the Targu Jiu – Rovinari – Filiaşi national road, in Plopsoru, on the Deleni- Piscuri – Costesti – Groşerea Commune road.

    Another alternative: Filiaşi –Ţânţăreni, then the Capul Dealului – Pârâu- Groşerea secondary road (the road continues towards Târgu Cărbuneşti, on the Gilort Valley).

  • References:

    This is not a public building.

  • Original/current function: kula-type fortified dwelling/ no longer used, abandoned
  • Date: 18th century
  • History:

    According to the historical tradition, the kula was built in the 18th century by treasurer Barbu Cocoş Crăsnaru and his descendants. The members of the Crăsnaru family are also the founders of the church having the Saint Archangels as patrons at the beginning of the 19th century. The architect Iancu Atanasescu believes that Barbu Cocoş has nothing in common with the foundation of this kula, attributing it to Costache Săvoiu, nicknamed Surcel who gave the kula as dowry to his daughter Elena, when she married Achil Crăsnaru by the dowry paper of 1796. Used as observation point on the valley of the Gilort river and on part of the Jiu Valley, over the centuries, it had a tumultuous existence, being robbed by the Turks in 1801, and thunderstruck in 1898. There is a local legend mentioning a secret passage allowing its owners to escape potential attacks. After 1951, the kula was nationalized and started to be used by the local People’s council. After 1963, extensive restoration works started and from 1966 on the kula sheltered an ethnographic museum. Today it is abandoned and in a very advanced state of degradation.

  • Description:

    The brick kula has thick walls and is shaped in the form of a tower. This kula comprises the ground floor and two upper floors. The entry into building is located on the ground floor; the old entrance door was quite ingeniously locked, but it does not exist anymore. An interior staircase connects it to the upper floors and to the porch on the façade that overlooks the Gilort river. On the upper floor, some of the ramparts were turned into windows. The ceilings have massive oak beams. The porch has five columns that support trilobite arches, with one column on each side. On the highest floor, there is a wooden balcony on the east and west walls, used to keep watch. The roof of the kula is shingled.

  • Conservation status: poor
  • Bibliography:

    Atanasescu Iancu, Grama Valeriu, Kulas from Oltenia, Scrisul Românesc Publishing House, Craiova, 1974

    Creţeanu Radu, Creţeanu Sarmiza, Kulas from Romania, Meridiane Publishing House, Bucharest, 1969

    Ionescu Grigore, The History of Romanian Architecture, Cartea Românească Publishing House, Bucharest, 1937

    Janecke Wilhelm von, Das Rumanische Bauern – und Bojarenhaus, Ed. Konig Carol – Verlag, Bukarest, 1918

    Stefulescu Alexandru, Historic and picturesque county of Gorj, Ed N.D. Milosescu, Tg. Jiu, 1904

    Zamora Luiza, Kulas, fortified boyars’ houses of Romania, Igloo Publishing House, Bucharest, 2007

    The archive of the National Institute of Heritage

Institutul Național al Patrimoniului         Administrația Fondului Cultural Național