Gorj

The Glogoveanu House

IMG_9158.JPG IMG_9160.JPG IMG_9166.JPG IMG_9169.JPG IMG_9172.JPG
  • LMI (Historical Monument List) Code: GJ-II-m-A-09306.02
  • Location:

    On the premises of the Glogoveanu Complex, Glogova Village, the Commune of Glogova, Gorj County

  • Access:

    The Glogoveni House is located in the centre of the settlement, in a beautiful park together with the “Sfântul Nicolae” Church and the enclosure wall, on the road connecting Motru to Baia de Aramă.

  • References:

    This is not a public building.

  • Original/current function: kula-type fortified dwelling / guest house
  • Date: 18th - 19th centuries
  • History:

    Glogova community played an important political role due to the boyars in the Glogoveanu family who owned one of their place of residence right here. The area is also associated to the name of Tudor Vladimirescu, administrator of the estates owned by the Glogoveanu family in the Obârşia and Cloşani area in the north of the historical Mehedinţi. A local legend goes that a Serbian merchant by the name of Glogovan settled down in this area and founded the town, and his descendants took the name of Glogoveanu – becoming the boyars of these places. The history of this building starts according to the local tradition, in the 18th century when Matei Glogoveanu built a house with a ground floor and the Sfântul Nicolae Church (1730). His son, Ioniţă, high official, acting as kaimakam of Craiova, completed the church started by his father and after 1764, he built the current dwelling, keeping only the cellar of the old house. Later, the veranda was added to it and it was extended towards the road. On the last years of the 19th century, the then owner, Mr. Gheorghe Vernescu, initiated a restoration of the building, carried out in rather good conditions. After 1951, the house was used as an office of the collective farm and as premises for a few classrooms of the Glogova general school. The architect Iancu Atanasescu initiated a restoration project in 1964, and once the works were completed, the building became home to a local museum. It became a guesthouse after 1990.

  • Description:

    The kula comprises a ground floor and an upper floor. The ground floor is largely made of a massive basement, with 1.40-1.45 meter thick walls, with two vaulted rooms, with barrel vaults and thick transverse arches, some propped on the walls and others on two central square-sectioned pilasters. The upper floor is formed of a porch with wood columns, which is quite unique for this type of buildings in this particular area, and an interior staircase located right under the porch for the access to the ground floor. The veranda leads to a central hall and from there, to the five rooms. The exterior façade decorations feature large rectangular panels on the upper floor, and small square panels on the three sides of the parapet. The kula has many embrasures, which allowed the past defenders of the house to shoot in any direction, in the case of an attack. The embrasures are also present at the porch, in the wall parapet. The building is roofed in wooden tiles.

    “Sfantul Nicolae’’ Church was built by Matei Glogoveanu and his wife, Stanca. The works started in 1730, were continued by his son Ion with his wife, Maria, being completed in 1764. The brick church has the shape of a nave with open porch, nave, narthex and altar. Above the narthex, there is a steeple, which is accessible by stair and which is connected to the western wall of the narthex. The writing is in stone, with Cyrillic letters:

    This holly and Godly church celebrating Saint Nicholas was built by Councillor Matei Glogoveanu and his wife Stanca, daughter of Councillor Staicu Bengescu, and because they died before they could see their work complete, their son Ioniţă Glogoveanu carried on their work and when he grew up and married, he and his wife Maria, daughter of Court Victualler Radu Kreţulescu continued his parents’ work and completed the building as it can be seen and died during the reign of his Majesty Constandinu Vodă in the year 7272’’ (1764).

    In 1915 repair works were carried out at the church, being re-painted by the painters Iliescu – Vela Belgun and Năchescu from Craiova.

  • IMG_9197.JPG IMG_9201.JPG IMG_9210.JPG IMG_9211.JPG
  • Conservation status: good
  • Bibliography:

    Creţeanu Radu, The church from Glogova, Metropolitan Magazine of Olteniano 6-7/1956

    Crețeanu Radu, Kulas and fortified houses from the Valley of Motru River, RMM, Bucharest, 1958

    Creţeanu Radu, Creţeanu Sarmiza, Kulas from Romania, Meridiane Publishing House, Bucharest, 1969

    Zamora Luiza, Kulas, fortified boyars’ houses of Romania, Igloo Publishing House, Bucharest, 2007

    The archive of the National Institute of Heritage

     

Institutul Național al Patrimoniului         Administrația Fondului Cultural Național