Teodor Brătianu Mansion

Conacul_Bratianu-Tigveni_AG-01.JPG Conacul_Bratianu-Tigveni_AG-02.JPG Conacul_Bratianu-Tigveni_AG-03.JPG Conacul_Bratianu-Tigveni_AG-04.JPG Conacul_Bratianu-Tigveni_AG-05.JPG Conacul_Bratianu-Tigveni_AG-06_1965.JPG Conacul_Bratianu-Tigveni_AG-07_1965.JPG Conacul_Bratianu-Tigveni_AG-08_1965.JPG
  • LMI (Historical Monument List) Code: AG-II-m-A-13811.01
  • Location:

    In the Teodor Brătianu Mansion complex, currently a home-school for the disabled, Tigveni Village, Tigveni Commune, Argeș County

  • Access:

    While driving on Road 73C from Curtea de Argeș to Râmnicu Vâlcea, in the centre of Tigveni Commune, there is a road sign indicating the way to the left towards the historical monument.

  • References:

    This is not a public building.

  • Original/current function: fortified dwelling/ administrative building on the premises of a home school for people with disabilities
  • Date: The second half of the 18th century, approx. 1860-1870
  • History:

    Further to his marriage to a lady from the Tigveni boyar family, Dincă Brătianu received a land perimeter as a dowry in the second half of the 18th century; this is where he built a boyar’s mansion. In the period 1860-1870, the mansion was modified and expanded by army major Teodor Brătianu. Expropriated in 1949, the Brătianu Mansion was turned into a hospital school for disabled children.

  • Description:

    The building includes an old two-storey area built in the second half of the 18th century, expanded in the period 1860-1870. The old wing has a compact plane, almost square in shape, while the access stairs are built on the outside South-East wall of the building. On the ground level, which can be accessed separately from the North-East outside area, there are the cellars, covered with “barrel” brick vaults, with transverse arches. The accommodation rooms, partly covered with groined vaults, are built right above the cellars. This floor is accessed by means of an attached gazebo, located on the South-Eastern side, which is accessible from the outside by means of a staircase. The expansion is made on the back of the old wing, to the North-West, through a long and narrow wing formed of a ground floor plus the first floor, which can is accessed separately. The two wings communicate through the upper level.

    The Brătian boyar court was built in the second half of the 18th century. Along with the mansion and its historical outbuildings, the complex also covers the ruins of “Sf. Voievozi” Church, built in the 18th century.

  • Conservation status: medium
  • Bibliography:

    Creţeanu Radu, Creţeanu Sarmiza, Kulas from Romania, Meridiane Publishing House, Bucharest, 1969

    The archive of the National Institute of Heritage

Institutul Național al Patrimoniului         Administrația Fondului Cultural Național